Highlands College Evening
The Leadership Development Program educates and equips students with biblically-based leadership principles, an understanding of the Christian worldview, and offers practical teachings that will help students become effective leaders in their area of calling and empower them to reach their full potential.
As a part of the Leadership Development Program, students have the option to pursue certificates in Christian Leadership and Ministry Training Intensive. All certificates are four semesters in length. Classes are one night a week. Programs vary in the level of commitment needed to fulfill course requirements. Highlands College Evening can be easily balanced with other life commitments.
Certificates available through the Leadership Development program are:
Christian Leadership Certificates
This four semester (two year) program helps further develop your leadership with a Biblical worldview and foundation. In year one, you will build your personal and organizational leadership skills through an exploration of your personal leadership skills coupled with foundational leadership skills in a Christian worldview. In year two you will build upon your personal leadership development by applying the principles in ministry settings, including your home and workplace.
Christian Leadership Foundations
- Intro to Christian Leadership
- Personal Leadership
- Leadership Purpose
- Organizational Leadership
Ministry Leadership Applications
- Ministry Philosophy
- Ministry Practices I
- Ministry Practices II
- Ministry Comprehensive
For your convenience, students are automatically enrolled into the second year of our Christian Leadership Program.
Upon completion of all courses and requirements, students will earn the Christian Leadership Foundations and Ministry Leadership Applications certificates.
Students must have completed or be currently enrolled in our Christian Leadership Certificates in order to enroll in Ministry Training Intensive or World Missions.
Ministry Training Intensive Certificate
In parallel with the Christian Leadership Certificates, you will accelerate your ministry development through hands-on training in labs and ministry experiences with a specialized focus. Ministry Training Intensive is a four semester (2 year) course and upon completion, you will be developed to serve at the highest level of your calling in ministry as a volunteer or in a career path. Ministry Placement services are available to students who complete this Certificate.
Upon completion of all courses and requirements, students will earn the Ministry Training Intensive Certificate.
Students must have completed or be currently enrolled in our Christian Leadership Certificates in order to enroll in Ministry Training Intensive.
Coming Fall 2023
World Missions Certificate
In parallel with the Christian Leadership Certificates, World Missions exists to educate, train, and mobilize students who sense God’s leading to serve in a global context. The four courses will take place over one year and provide students with academic and practical training for cross-cultural missions. World Missions is a two semester (one year) course presenting how the biblical and historical foundations of missions apply to today’s global landscape and gain insight into the practical aspects of relating to and working with people from other cultures. Currently, enrollment is offered only at the Birmingham Campus during the Fall Semesters. Ministry Placement services are available to students who complete this Certificate.
The World Missions Certificate course includes:
- Historical and Strategic Perspectives
- Culture and World Religions
- Personal Leadership for Missionaries
Upon completion of all courses and requirements, students will earn the World Missions Certificate.
Students must have completed or be currently enrolled in our Christian Leadership Certificates in order to enroll in World Missions.
July 18th, 2023
Learn more about Highlands College Evening at Preview Night!
Frequently Asked Questions
Highlands College Evening classes take place on Tuesday nights.
- For Christian Leadership, students attend class on Tuesday nights from 6:30-7:30pm (CST).
- For Ministry Training and World Missions, students attend class on Tuesday nights from 7:45-8:45pm (CST).
- For Biblical Studies and Theological Studies, students attend class on Tuesday nights from 6:30-7:30pm (CST).
Classes are available in-person at our Highlands College Evening campus locations.
Additional requirements for certificate completion vary depending on the course.
Students may pursue one or more of the following certificates:
- Christian Leadership
- Ministry Training Intensive
- World Missions
- Biblical Studies
- Theological Studies
Tuition for each Highlands College Evening program is $800 per semester for Church of the Highlands Members and $850 per semester for non-Church of the Highlands members for the duration of the program.
Tuition is due by the first class, unless arrangements have been made for an approved payment plan. For information on a payment plan contact your Admissions Coach.
There is a $50 non-refundable application fee to apply for Highlands College Evening. Once accepted, there is a $250 enrollment deposit which must be submitted as part of the confirmation process once you have made a final decision to attend Highlands College. The enrollment deposit is applied toward your tuition and is non-refundable after the drop date for each semester.
Yes! We offer a payment plan that allows you to make two payments toward your tuition/fees over the course of the semester. One payment at the beginning of the semester and one payment halfway through the semester.
The Ministry Training Intensive Certificate is comprised of Ministry Training Labs, Ministry Training Experiences, and a Ministry Training Specialization over the span of four semesters.
- Ministry Training Labs – On Tuesday nights students learn from Church of the Highlands staff about their areas of expertise.
- Ministry Training Experiences – Students engage with hands-on learning through serving on Sunday at Church of the Highlands, participating in and leading small groups, and completing weekly athletic/workout requirements.
- Ministry Training Specializations – Students choose to focus on an area of church ministry. Each Specialization has pre-defined benchmarks which guide a student’s development in that ministry area. Ministry Training first and second-semester students will complete general ministry training, and declare their area of specialization prior to their third semester.
Ministry Training Specializations we offer are:
Conference and Events
- This Specialization provides students with the opportunity to participate in serving Church of the Highlands conferences and church-wide events. Students will receive conference and event training and will receive holistic hands-on and study experiences with guided reflection.
- This Specialization teaches students how to invest in the lives of families through worship, videos, skits, small groups, greeting, games, and more. Students will receive holistic hands-on training and study experiences, with guided reflections, in addition to training in creating safe and fun environments, communication, team leadership, creative development, and small groups.
- This Specialization allows students to experience the heart of Church of the Highlands local outreach. Students will plan and lead local outreach events and receive holistic hands-on and study experience with guided reflections in Outreach.
- This Specialization trains students on how to build and lead teams, communicate effectively, and lead an organization or department within the church. In the Pastoral Leadership Specialization, students will receive holistic hands-on training and study experiences, with guided reflections, in addition to training in pastoral care and team development.
- This Specialization trains and equips leaders to be successful in leading youth. Students will receive training in building teams, communicating, event/conference planning, small groups, team and organizational leadership, with holistic hands-on training, study experiences, and guided reflections.
- This Specialization prepares students for spiritual and musical development as a worship leader ready to lead congregations and develop teams. Students receive training in leading worship teams, creating worship sets, team, and organizational leadership, with holistic hands-on training, study experiences, and guided reflections. Students pursuing the Worship Leadership Specialization must be actively serving on the Highlands worship team or must be accepted to serve with the worship team, prior to choosing this specialization.
Currently World Missions Enrollment is only offered during the Fall Semester. It is a one year course offered only at the Birmingham Location. Remote access is currently unavailable. World Mission students are required to complete a short-term missions trip.
Students may pursue one or more of the following certificate programs:
- Christian Leadership
- Ministry Training Intensive
- World Missions
- Biblical Studies
- Theological Studies
Our admissions team is here to help you every step of the way.
To gain entry into any Highlands College Evening program, an applicant must submit and meet the following admission requirements:
- Meet the recommended minimum age of 23 by the start of class. Age exceptions may be granted at the discretion of the Admissions Committee if applicants meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Employed full-time (40 or more work hours per week)
- Has earned a bachelor’s degree from another institution
- Current military service
- Enrolled full-time at a community college or four-year college/university. To qualify for this exception, the applicant must be attending class in – person, online program enrollment does not qualify.
- Married and/or has children
- Be a committed follower of Christ.
- Ensure access to sufficient financial resources to cover, tuition, fees, accommodations, and living expenses. Students may view tuition and fees on the Highlands College website.
- Be a graduate of an accredited four-year high school or equivalent homeschool, having earned a standard diploma certifying readiness for a two-or four-year college experience.
- Completed Online Application
- Payment of the $50 Application Fee
- Receipt of Online Reference Form
- Background Authorization Consent
- For those pursuing the Ministry Training Intensive Certification, the following additional application requirements must be received in order to complete the admission application:
- Completed Online Reference Form from a Staff Member at Your Church or Campus
- Online Admissions Interview
- Ministry Calling Essay
Following receipt of a completed application demonstrating that the above requirements are met, the Admissions Committee will review the applicant, and the Admissions Department will notify the applicant of an admission decision. In some cases, the Admissions Committee may request that an applicant provide additional evidence that they meet these requirements. At its discretion, the Admissions Committee may apply additional conditions concerning the above entry requirements.
All candidates for admission must meet one of the following qualifications:
- A graduate from an accredited four-year high school or equivalent home school having earned a standard diploma.
- Completed the General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
- Other state-recognized equivalency of a high school diploma.
Documentation of Secondary Education
HC does not require Evening Program Certificate applicants to submit any formal certification verifying completion of the secondary education requirement so long as the student attests that requirement is satisfied.
Prior College Enrollment
HC does not require Evening Program Certificate applicants to submit official transcripts for prior college enrollment.
Standardized Test Scores
HC does not require submission of standardized test scores such as the ACT or SAT for Evening Program applicants.
Online Reference Forms For World Missions & Ministry Training Applicants
Applicants must submit a minimum of two online reference forms as part of their admission application. ReferenceRequirements:
- Reference One: This reference should be completed by someone who has a close, pastoral relationship with the applicant, such as a pastor, pastoral staff, small group leader, Dream Team leader, etc. who can testify to the applicant’s relationship with Jesus, leadership skills, and Christian character. The reference may not be from a relative.
- Reference Two: Applicants must submit at least one reference from a staff member at their church or campus. The reference may not be from a relative.
The Highlands College Evening Program does not offer scholarships or financial assistance. If you need assistance, contact your local campus Highlands College Evening Director to inquire if funds are available for consideration.
Christian Leadership, Biblical Studies and Theological Studies are available to non-members of Church of the Highlands. Non-members are not eligible to earn Ministry Training Intensive or World Missions certificates.