Highlands College invites applications for a Librarian. A unique opportunity to provide leadership and direction for a brand new facility, currently being constructed to educate 1,000 students at the future Grandview Campus, in Birmingham, Alabama. The successful candidate will provide oversight for all library personnel, information literacy program development, collection development, reference and instruction services, coordination of information technology, assessment of library services, and facilities and budget. The librarian works collaboratively with the faculty to reflect the college’s vision, mission, and goals and develops students according to the Student Learning Objectives of Highlands College. The librarian leads in implementing the Strategic Plan of the College as it relates to learning resources.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patron Services – Performs circulation functions such as checking resources in or out for patrons. Provides assistance to library patrons conducting research.
- Information Literacy – Collaborates with faculty to provide information literacy sessions that teach students about information resources, specifically online sources, general sessions about researching, workshops on citing sources, and how to use commentaries and concordances.
- Collection Management – Organizes library materials according to the Library of Congress classification system. Maintains and enforces well-organized procedures for the selection, acquisition, and cataloging of physical and online collections, books, periodicals, and other library materials to support Highlands College’s curricula. In collaboration with faculty, evaluates and selects new print resources according to the criteria laid out in the library policy manual.
- IT and Facilities Management – Collaborates with the systems support teams to improve and streamline access to resources. Monitors and maintains library systems and specialist computer applications (RFID pads, security gates, printer/copier, and student computers).
- Personnel Management – Supervises all library personnel, including staff and volunteers.
- Strategic Planning and Budget – Develops and implements strategic goals and plans for the library. Formulates library policies, manages the library annual budget, and oversees all library revenue and expenses.
- Professional Development – Maintains memberships in relevant and appropriate professional organizations and participates in local, state, regional, and national associations.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position. Salary is competitive commensurate with experience. Candidate must reside in Birmingham.
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science, Library & Information Science, or related discipline from a regionally accredited institution.
- Knowledge of state and national issues and the role of the library in higher education.
- In-depth knowledge of current computer and instructional technology.
- College or academic library experience preferred.
- Experience working with online resources (ATLA), databases, and writing tools like Grammarly or Turnitin.
- Experience with MARC and non-MARC metadata such as Dublin Core, as well as RDA and ISBD cataloging standards.
- Familiarity with online Learning Management Systems.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work with faculty and staff with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
To apply, email documentation to email@example.com as one combined .pdf document. Only electronic submissions will be reviewed. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application must contain:
1. A letter of interest outlining qualifications and experience.
2. Curriculum vitae.
3. Supporting document transcripts.
4. Information for three professional references (their position, title, email, phone number).
Official Transcripts and a background check is required before employment.